“Why do some new salespeople in their first few months
(who know almost nothing about the product or selling)
outsell a lot of the salespeople with experience?”
If you think about it, you already know the answer.
When we started selling, most of us knew nothing and if you were like me, I was definitely fearful of how to deal with some customers.
In the beginning…
When customers would ask me questions, I told the truth…
• What’s my trade worth? I said, “I don’t know.”
• How much do I need to put down? I said, “I don’t know.”
• What will payments be on this? I said, “I don’t know.”
• Can I buy it for $x? I said, “I don’t know.”
Sure, some pushed to know more, but in real life, when I said I didn’t know, most stopped asking those questions and we talked about the car and what they wanted.
And I did pretty well and sold more than most of the experienced salespeople in the beginning.
Fast forward to a month or so later, after I’d experienced more…
• What’s my trade worth? I said, “Probably somewhere around $5,000. What did you want for it?”
• How much do I need to put down? I said, “Maybe 3 or 4 hundred or less. How’s your credit?”
• How long can I finance this? I said, “That depends on your credit, too, maybe 48 or even 60 months, if it’s good.”
• What will payments be on this? I said, “Probably around $250 or so depending on how much you put down. How much can you come up with?”
• Can I buy it for $x? I said, “If we could, will you buy it now?”
A couple of months later, I could tell whether they were a buyer or not as soon as they got out of their car. In another month, I could tell whether they could even get financed or not.
If they weren’t buyers or couldn’t buy, I didn’t want to waste my time, so I’d ditch them asap and try to catch a better ‘up’ instead.
Soon I joined the 8-car huddle, with daily meetings under the gazebo to talk about why poor traffic, low appraisals, my manager blowing deals out (and more) kept us from selling more.
How about you? Hear any bells ringing here? 🙂
Learn to set goals in sales is so important…Download this ebook by Joe Verde, the leader in car sales training, “Get Everything You Want In Sales” today and learn how to control your own destiny.